Monday 18 August 2014

Nuttcombe Bottom: Tallest Tree in England








So I have recently come back from a little holiday in Somerset. For those of you who don't know Somerset is in the South West of England.

I have been going to Somerset in the holidays for many years now. Its a great peaceful place which is completely different compared to the city life.

I visited a place called Nuttcombe Bottom which sounds a little funny but basically it is a huge nature walk full of long and short circuits for the public to use.



Nuttcombe Bottom is in Minehead. If you are attending Minehead Butlins soon be assured that it is only a short drive from there through Dunster. If you are having problems finding Nuttcombe Bottom then I have found a good website which you can see by clicking here.

Nuttcombe Bottom is predominantly for walkers however, there is a park for the children and designated picnic areas.


Me and my family first walked the beige walk which took us to the tallest tree in the England (as of 2009). The tree was an astounding 60m tall which is the same height as 14 double-decker buses stacked on top of one another or 22 elephants stood on each other's shoulders. The tree is even bigger than Nelson's Column which stands at 51.5m.

If any tree lovers are reading, the tree was a Douglas-fir which means nothing to me but there you go.


There are many other circuits to explore ranging from 600m to 6.5 miles. I urge you not to pick the dark green which is 6.5 miles for your first walk.

Me and my sister did this and it is safe to say the directions could do with a little amendment as we got lost a few times which caused us to spend way longer than we thought. Saying that though I did witness some amazing views that were just beautiful.


To conclude if you are looking for a peaceful place to walk through or a great day out and you are in West Somerset then Nuttcombe Bottom is the place.

I hope you guys enjoyed this post. Be sure to leave a comment about the most beautiful place you have visited and why not vote on my poll on the right.

Thanks,

Tom.

8 comments: